Thursday, June 4, 2020

Diy Accent wall



Well here sits one very simple, boring wall.
that needed just a little creative attention..


And here is the accent wall finished!
I cannot stop looking at and smiling at it!


This is called board and batten.
I purchased pre-primed mdf board six of them for the dimensions
across my wall which measures 109'.
 My vertical boards are 2 1/4" wide.  I had seen many accent walls 
mostly made with 4" wide boards which I felt is too wide from the
size of my area. 
As a suggestion, I would buy a few different width to test your design before you begin.   Another thing that I did was using painters tape I taped my design on the wall to see whether I wanted a 3/4" wall or a full wall of squares.   There are so many designs out there that you can create on your wall.
For the top piece I purchased that you see me nailing down in the photo, it is the 3 1/2" mdf board by 3/4"
My vertical boards are 2 1/4" wide.
Once you have your design figured out you can start
to adhere your boards to the wall.


I started with the top board, then centered the first vertical board and added the other four on each side making sure the boards are level with a level tool.
Some people add a board at the bottom to frame out the entire wall but I felt the with my 6' trim at the bottom I didn't need another board there. 


The next step will be to caulk in between each boards for a really
clean finish to the wall.
I personally LOVE to caulk, it's tedious, but really gives you 
a smooth clean line.
Since I purchased primed mdf board, you don't need to prime
your boards, you just paint them!


Coming right along!


Here's another angle of the wall
I love the clean lines and the thickness of the boards
I choose.  Be sure you think about that when deciding your
designs.


And, here it is!
This was truly an easy project, it took my hubs and I a total
of 3 hours with a little of waiting for caulk to dry mostly.
He's so great at the math part of it that he figured out based on the width of the room how much room between each board.
(gotta love those math brains!)


A few more views
We really had this wall on our list to do this fall, but with our
fall like weather we had over the weekend we moved up our plan
and I am so glad we did!
On a side note, I get asked what that thing is in the left corner 
of the room on the wall.
It's our heating/cooling system, somewhat of an eye sore but
what are you gonna do.... 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you, please leave a comment..