Friday, December 4, 2020

Outdoor Gnome


This is what happens when you have a creative mind and besides work keep yourself busy during covid......
I have this very large 12ft Arborvitae tree in the back that I decided to dress up for the holidays.  Enter my love of gnomes right now......


I'll be "Gnome" for Christmas!
And here he is in all his glory!


How did I make this you ask?
I went to the Dollar store and bought three round plastic tablecloths,
I also bought this red christmas mesh and had a plastic flesh colored bowl on hand. 
This really maybe cost me $5 to make.

I started with the pom pom on top of his hat by creating a bow out of the mesh and attaching the bow to a green garden stake using some wire.   My husband did the job of climbing up the ladder to stick it right down the middle of the tree.
The next step was to wrap the mesh around the center of the tree to create the brim of his hat.  It is just tied into a knot at the back of the tree.
Now take your three tablecloths, starting with one, fold it over
and using your scissors cut straight lines across from one side to the 
side.  Do this to all three tablecloths.  
I attached the beard to the brim of the hat by hot gluing the beard to the mesh.  Do one layer at a time.
For the nose,  using my bowl, I glued a 2 x 2" piece of wood to the bowl and pushed the nose into the tree.

I know I will get asked how to do this, so I wanted to share the steps,
I will try and get some more photos to post today while it's light out.

So far it has done well in the weather here,  we had a 40 mph wind storm and only had the top pom pom blow off. 
 Easy to put back on so no worries there!


This is what the nose and beard looks like up close..


And this is how I cut up the plastic tablecloths


In this picture above,  you can see how I hot glued the
plastic tablecloth to the red mesh.  It has been up for almost
two weeks now and with the wind and rain hasn't budged. 


Here's a look from another angle.  
I love my gnomie!


There's no place like "gnome" for the holidays!







1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all the close pictures. It's a lot easier to figure out seeing it that way. Anxious to try it.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you, please leave a comment..