Friday, June 23, 2023

Barn Quilt




Happy friday!
I've taken some time this week to make this wood barn quilt.
Have you heard of them?
Where we live, they are all over the place.
 You paint the design and then hang them on the outside of your home or garage or out buildings.


I started with a 3' x 3' piece of wood I had laying around the garage.
It would be better if you were to pick up a smooth piece of wood.
Mine is like a press mdf pressed board.  It still works but I a smooth
piece would be even better. 
So since the board is 3'x'3 piece I had to section off 9", 18" and 36" sections.  Once you have penciled in all the squares you then will have to decide on a design.  You can google barn quilt designs to help you find and determine what you'd like your barn quilt to look like.
Once you find a design it shows how you have to create the triangles within the squares to make the quilt. 


When you have penciled in your design and figured out what colors you'd like your quilt to have you will need to start taping off the color blocking.  Since mine is white and black I only have two colors to work with.  You might choose many colors, if so put in pencil writings
 in each box the color of the triangle so you know which color goes where. 
Keeps confusion down. 


You will find you cannot tape off the whole board at once due to the 
fact the tape will be taped over the opposite color.
So it is best to wait for the sections you painted to dry
to be able to remove the tape and then tape the sections
that need paint. 



See below how messy it looks painted?
I'm using outdoor latex paint by the way. 
Don't worry, you are going to lift the tape and have straight painted lines once it drys. 



The gray you see is primer.  I painted primer to the board before painting it.  Now onto adding the white paint sections. 


looking good so far~~~





Love how this turned out!
I think it needs some finishing to it, so I might go to Home Depot to find some trim to frame it. 
What you do you think? 


Once I frame it and hang it I will share the final look! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you, please leave a comment..