Saturday, August 18, 2012

Back from Cle Elum

I just returned from a few days over in Cle Elum where the  massive fire is.   It  still is only 40% contained.  I was at Base Camp the last two days where the Firefighters are  staying,  it is overwhelming to say the least.  There are over 1000 Firefighters serving the community.  These signs are everywhere on their journey back each day from fighting the fires. The amount of support is unreal.  Upon speaking to those at the camp, the Firefighters are teary eyed just seeing all this support.  I delivered a trailer full of water, gatorade and power bars to them. Seeing the piles of donations, I was thinking to myself they had received  "a lot" of donations, only to find out that it will diminish  quite quickly.
When I went by last night, a crew of Firefighters had just arrived from a full day fighting the fire.  When they got out of the trucks I had to hold back tears, they were exhausted, covered in soot, and I'm sure overheated.   The temperatures are in the high 90's......  check the pics below to see the base camp

These signs are everywhere supporting the Firefighters.....



This is base camp for the Firefighters, this is only a fourth of the tents.  Base camp is at the local elementary/middle school.  

You can see the haze in the background from the fires.  The support of this community is amazing.  I love this place, it is so near and dear to my heart.  Please keep the this community and  the Firefighters in your prayers please...

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for supporting them. I am on the Olympic Peninsula, a little too far away but still close enough to feel it all in my heart. They are on my mind 24 hrs a day and am so grateful for them, knowing that some day I made need them here too. Please let them know how much we appreciate them.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    Thank you for the kind words, they are just so overwhelmed at the support they are receiving. I had so many tears just being there. So hard to see them working so hard risking their lives, working long hours. And there are soooo many of them serving. The community has done an amazing job taking care of them. Thank you for sending your love and support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendie aka TankergypsieAugust 19, 2012 at 5:36 PM

    You are an angel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the photos. I've never seen anything like that with all those tents!
    How far are the fires from where you live?
    I just heard on the news this morning about how the fires are all over the place again out west.
    Those firefighters have been working non-stop all summer!
    I'm too far to help so I'll just keep praying for a quick end.
    I'm a nature lover & I can't help but think of all those trees, plants, animals, etc.
    I see it's getting to some homes too.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you, please leave a comment..