Monday, February 19, 2018

Ottomans




Hi friends!  today I'm sharing these ottomans that I have had in our guest room that needed a serious makeover.   I love how they turned out, and they took little effort to make. 


I started by purchasing a shower curtain at Home Goods.  The one I found had a bit of a texture to it compared to many shower curtains that are thin and/or shiny.  This one is a Tommy Hilfiger for $12.99.  Pretty good price compared to the price of fabric at the fabric store.  
To start I folded it in half and then cut it in half.


I then figured out how big the top of the ottomans were to determine how big to cut a piece to fit the top. 
Once I determined this, I used the rest of the material to wrap around the ottomans to cover the sides of them.
To do this, fold them the long way so that you can wrap it around the ottoman and pin it so you can sew it.  
I used the sewing machine to do this part.


This is one of the ottomans in much need of some love.
I cut the existing skirt right off to make it easier to work with.



Once the sides were sewed up I slipped the cover over the top and slid it down to fit the ottoman.  I made them a bit tight intentionally.  The piece that I cut for the top I then hand tucked down the sides of the ottoman and then fuzed together with Stitch Witch which is a type of adhesive for fabric.  Works amazingly!  and I didn't have to do any sewing!


The bottom is finished off by folding the material to the bottom and using a staple gun to the the material in place.
I finished it off by adding the white pom poms.  I couldn't decide whether I should put them on, but the original design on the ottomans had a piping and I felt it needed covering.
What do you think? 

3 comments:

  1. I say thumbs up to the poms!!! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I'm hoping to start my own website soon but I'm a little
    lost on everything. Would you suggest starting with a free platform like
    Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there
    that I'm completely confused .. Any ideas? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you, please leave a comment..